нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Have you seen...?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Have you seen...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of the following proposal?
Meh.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Good, but unecessary.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
STFU n00b.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sounds like a plan
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

LLG

Post subject: Have you seen...?
Hey guys. I've noticed lately that activity has dropped woefully. I'm part of that. It occurs to me that as we get older, our intrest in Anime and other animation wanes, and there are so many shows out there now that it's hard to stay on the same page as everyone else. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.) To produce more discussion, I propose that we have a "Have You Seen...?" thread. That would be this thread. If you have an anime/cartoon/manga/comic that you want to discuss, but are unsure if anyone else has seen/heard/read, post it here. Not only do we end up sharing information about new and/or obscure animes and etc., but also no one gets left out of the loop and no one gets lets behind. ^_^

Has anyone read the Dragon Knights series? (Aside from you, Bono.) I have one through 22 so far. It's confusing as all hades, but the art is good and the characters are ridden with angst and drama. And there are Dragons. Hence, ya know, Dragon Knights. ^_^ Anyone wanna talk?
PostThu Jul 13, 2006 7:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
It's possible the lack of activity is related directly to your siggy, LLG . . . *cough*

ANYway, I wouldn't say that our in interest anime or animation has waned, but I think a lot of the more old school members have outgrown Toonami itself. Ask us when the last time it was that we watched Toonami. For me, I check out Naruto every week now, and every now and then I'll catch IGPX, but aside from that, nothing on the block interests me (One Peice would if it were, you know, One Peice and not "Hi, I'm 4Kids, and I like to MURDER shows by telling you that NOTHING IN THIS SHOW is safe for kids because I know what's best for you!")

Anyway, the only anime I've seen recently that hasn't aired on Cartoon Network is Akira, and everyone's seen that . . . *SHRUG*

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 9:54 am
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
I've been on a Gundam kick. So I'm watching Gundam Zeta and G Gundam. But I'm guessing everyone here has seen them.
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Oh, I wouldn't say "everyone". Wink

I should feel more embarrassed than I do about letting all this new anime sit in a pile while I'm rewatching Noir for the first time in 2 years, but... there's just something about Chloe that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up... and if I look away from the screen, that's when she'll get me.

Last edited by Nobuyuki on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 10:46 am
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
Part of the problem with anime these days is that there's too much of it.
There's all these series people watch fansubed that I won't see until they get licensed and released over here. (I don't watch fansubs. Don't have the time or the disk space.)

Even the series that are on DVD, there's lots of them too. So trying to find a series to talk about that others have seen: the chances seem slim.

So what's left? Shows that air on Toonami and Adult Swim seem the most accessable to everyone, and we do have threads for them already, yet they don't get posted in very often.

As for what's been posted in here already:
Zeta Gundam - haven't seen it
G Gundam - haven't seen it
Noir - haven't seen it
Akira - saw it
Dragon Knights - never heard of it

Stuff I have seen, but probably won't be able to recall many details about:
Gundam Seed TV and movies 1-3
X TV and movie
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Akira
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 11:39 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gundam0084

Veteran

Post subject:
Hmmm...How about Patlabor: The Mobile Police (from the first OVA to the series, not the movies)? Has anyone seen that one? I bought all the releases from Central Park Media(the first OVA, the TV series, and the second OVA), and I loved it. Sure, the dub isn't exactly grade A, but the story is quite good. If you liked Patlabor 1 and 2 (the movies), you'll love the series. It's not quite as serious as the movies (although certain story arcs are), but it's matchless in how it turns the mecha genre on it's head. The story often focuses more on the human characters instead of the mecha (it does strike a good balance between the two, though), oftentimes making their personal interactions even more entertaining than yet another mecha battle.
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 1:04 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Quick reviews

Gundam Zeta - Need to check the date. But produced around 1989. This is a darker take on the Gundam UC0079. There is still the obligatory small bouncing robot. But the series basically starts dark and then doesn't let up.

Zeta wasn't liked by the Gundam fans then for the reasons I like it now. Which is that not sugar coated. And that the lead character doesn't just get everything he wants. Although his whining will grate on your nerves.

It shows it's age in a lot of ways. Most notably in character design. But in general its a very nice looking anime for its age. You won't be disappointed with the battle sequences either.

If your a Gundam fan you really owe it yourself to see this series. Just to see where they could have gone with it. I'm still only about a third through watching all of it. But from what I have read Double Zeta brings in a lot more humor and changes directions completely. I much prefer the darker feel of this one.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam - I don't claim to be an authority on the Gundam universe. Its just to varied. But G Gundam, I believe, was the first series to venture into the alternate Gundam universe's. A place where Gundam Wing lives. It has nothing to do with the normal UC calender.

The basis for the series, that was seen on Cartoon Network, is this. War has been abolished between the colonies. And once every four years all the space colonies send a Gundam to earth to battle all the other Colonies gundams in a series of fights. The fights are highly regulated and are, usually, one on one. The only thing that stands out from this. Is that earth itself is the battle grounds.

They show this by placing a force field ring around the earth everytime its shown.

So right off the bat. No huge massive battles between dozens or hundreds of mechas. This is a one on one battle match. Plus the way they control their Gundams is unique for any mech series I have ever seen. Because there is no way they could fit in the Gundams with what they do. But you get used to it after awhile.

The series wildly overuses the same footage. When its time to start a battle. You see the hero (borderline anti-hero) Damon Kashu (sp?) suit up inside the mech (thank you Japan for showing me his ass every episode.. yikes). Its a skin tight control mesh that transmits whatever inputs and damage the Gundam takes directly to the pilot. Excluding the head. And there is a reason for that. Which the show explains.

The animation isn't the greatest of the Gundam, or heck Macross, series. But mixing in different fighting styles, and EXTREME sterotypes, from the world's various colonies. Does give you something to watch. Want to know how the Japanese view Americans, Mexicans, Canadians, Russians ect. This is a great way to find out.

G Gundam is a guilty pleasure. Its like Wing in that way. Not to plot heavy. No real basis in reality. But just a fun 30 minutes per episode to sit back and watch each episode.

I have some questions with the dub on the DVD (at least the one Netflix has) which removes any reference to death. By changing the word death a lot. But overall the voice actings pretty good. Something I will also say for Zeta.

If your a Dragonball Z fan. A giant mecha fan. This is for you. If your looking for depth and a lot of plot. I'd go find hack slash.

Gundam 08th MS team
A quick mention of this series. That also appeared on Cartoon Network very briefly. This is in my Netflix queue as well.

Did you watch Gundam 0079 and say to yourself "Hey the GunCannon is a tank and they are using it wrong?!" Or wish that you could see what a Gundam would be like in the real world.

Well this series answers those questions. And tries to show the life of a standard Gundam military squad. Again like G Gundam its a unique take on the Gundam universe and I would recommend it just see what happens when you put a Gun Cannon out in the open.

Also one of the ones i remember being visually spectacular.
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 1:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
I used to watch Pat Labor on Encore. I thought it was a little preachy. But how the mechs were integrated into the police was interesting. I don't know why I find that interesting.

But I guess its because I want to see where the robots of the future are goign to be used.

Nobu - as the great follower of Tenchi can you go into a little of how the series has changed versus what we saw on CN
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 1:27 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
There hasn't been much interesting stuff to discuss around here. I don't even watch Toonami anymore. Nothing of interest there- actually, there aren't any Japanese carttons airing on any channel that I care about. I stick around because of the interesting community. When you've been around the same internet community for almost five years, it breeds a sense of familiarity. And while LLG, CP, and others live for those Hot Summer Nights, some of us are in the Danger Zone of Airsoft, Playing With the Boys (and a few girls. and all the boys are straight. boys can play in a heterosexual way) in intense matches of ultimate frisbee, and Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay (or the couch) watching Ivy and Mitsurugi hack away. Among other more mundane things. There's more to life than foreign cartoons.

That said, I tend to watch anime that are hit and miss with the greater whole of the American audience, and are targeted at a (somewhat) more mainstream audience in their home market. Shows about life, liberty (maybe not that one), and the pursuit of happiness. With a few exceptions. Yes, I'm a loser among a greater body of losers, but at least I'm no "otaku". Series I'm currently following, both on DVD and in avi/mkv/ogg form include(and are generally limited to): Yawara, Kimagure Orange Road (a rewatch, on DVD this time, but it's that good), Maison Ikkoku, Angel Heart, Capeta, and the Patlabor movies (the new DVD releases). Yawara, Angel Heart, and Capeta are fansubs, but none of them come out on a regular basis, which is kinda said, considering Angel Heart and Capeta are currently airing, and Yawara finished airing around the same time as Bill Clinton and George Bush were watching Ross Perot make a name for himself in their battleground. And now I feel like a dinosaur.
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 1:46 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Gundam0084 wrote:
Hmmm...How about Patlabor: The Mobile Police (from the first OVA to the series, not the movies)? Has anyone seen that one?

I watched about 4 or 5 episodes of the TV series on the old Toonami Reactor and enjoyed it. It kind of reminded me of Hill Street Blues with robots. I just haven't made a serious effort to collect them yet, although with CPM's repricing last year it's a lot easier to afford.
I still need to get the second half of You're Under Arrest!... Sad
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 9:55 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
For me personally, animation was never my primary hobby, as I really only got into it as a spin-off of video gaming. Even before graduating college last spring, my interest in the medium began to decline, but since then it's almost been 'sacrificed' for other priorities. The real world sucks when it comes to time management...

Anyway, I still watch everything Adult Swim Action picks up, so I'm keeping tabs with Eureka Seven and am struggling to not sleep through what's left of Inuyasha. I'm also following the Saturday re-runs of Fullmetal Alchemist with plans of playing the second PS2 game during it and watching the movie afterwards. On the Toonami front, I've kept up with Naruto since the start, and while I'm enjoying the show enough to continue with it, it isn't something I'm all that attached to. Same goes for IGPX, as the racing aspect never appealed to me, but I like the characters enough to keep watching. That's really all I've watched on the block since DBZ Uncut, Megas XLR, Rurouni Kenshin, and Yu Yu Hakusho left, though apparently IGPX is now out as well...

What's different from years past is, besides what airs on Cartoon Network, I really don't seek out anything else. I've been wanting to finish Full Metal Panic on Anime Network, but they keep resetting the series around episode 20, so I still haven't seen it all. Otherwise nothing's really called me out...
PostSat Jul 15, 2006 10:52 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Since I've found Subbed anime and have had easy access to it, I don't feel the need to watch it on CN any more. I'll watch Adult Swim if it's on, but I enjoy the comedy more, because I can't watch series out of order...it annoys me. If I miss a couple of episodes I just quit watching alltogether.

If any of you have a comment on any of the following that would be sweet.

-2x2 Shinbuden

-Grenadier:The Smiling Senshi

-Macross(Orignal)

-Karin

-Paradise Kiss

-The Meloncoly of Haruhi Suzimiya
PostSun Jul 16, 2006 12:36 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Zechs wrote:
I can't watch series out of order...it annoys me. If I miss a couple of episodes I just quit watching alltogether.

What do you do when a series is purposely played out of order? *Haruhi*

Quote:
If any of you have a comment on any of the following that would be sweet.

-2x2 Shinbuden

This is what we'll use for CP's intervention. Wink
Ditzy ninja girl wearing pink > annoying ninja boy wearing orange

Quote:
-Grenadier:The Smiling Senshi

Seen some of it, looking forward to the manga more. And for Media Blasters to drop the price.

Quote:
-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya

The fact that the comedy isn't blatant hyperactive slapstick and Japanese wordplay, and more low-key absurdism is a refreshing change. Fitting a tiny part of a Stoppard play into an episode brought the contrast into focus.

Last edited by Nobuyuki on Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
PostSun Jul 16, 2006 2:42 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Quote:

What do you do when a series is purposely played out of order? *Haruhi*

No, I like the way Haruhi was developed, plus the clincher is that it's episodic. You don't have to watch each one sequentially in order to enjoy it. The new anime series on AS right now are all the opposite with the excpetion of GitS:SAC.

Eureka 7 is something I would watch if I could sit through it a few days, but not once a week. FMA is great, but yeah I miss a few and I'm like WTF. S-cry-Ed, even when I do watch a few in sequence its so badly scripted that I have no idea what is ever going on. Maybe I'm just trying to read a bunch of ulterior motive where there is none and just accept the show is a just another vapid Shonen series.

As for Inuyasha, I have a love/hate relationship with Rumiko Takahashi. Everything she starts is awesome, but she never learns TO STOP SOMETHING WHEN ITS GOOD AND NOT DRIVE ALL OF HER SHIT IN THE GROUND. But who can argue with one of the richest women in japan....

---
A lot of people are calling Haruhi the next NGE. For god sakes I don't know why. Obviously the series is very refreshing in its genre, and breaks a lot of the norms we've come to expect from high-school shows. Not to mention the ending dance has turned into a full-fledged Meme among the community. Even so, the impact it will have on future shows or anime in general, can't be compared to what NGE accomplished.

----
The Grenadier anime is best described as a more light-hearted, fan-service filled version of Trigun. Guilty pleasure, pure and simple. Good animation, character design, action sequences, and (decent) story. Plus it's short, only 12 eps. Whenever a series that isn't mind-blowing or isn't a permanat cliffhanger(One Piece, Bleach, ect) goes longer than that, it's a waste of time.

----
2x2 Shinobuden is again, a guilty pleasure. But it's so much more. There has never before been an anime that has forced me to pause so I could laugh on the floor so many times as Shinobuden. Not to mention the fact that it avoids having a plot at all dear costs.
PostSun Jul 16, 2006 4:00 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Zechs wrote:
A lot of people are calling Haruhi the next NGE.

Sounds like a lot of people need dopeslapped.
PostSun Jul 16, 2006 4:25 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: