нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Action block back again! (UPDATE #2)
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Action block back again! (UPDATE #2)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Action block back again! (UPDATE #2)
Starting July 3, Comedy programming will be infused with the Saturday AS block. They're making the change due to inconsistent ratings.

Here's the new Saturday block's schedule, effective that night:

11PM - Futurama
11:30PM - Sealab 2021
11:45PM - Sealab 2021
12AM - Inuyasha
12:30AM - Wolf's Rain

1AM - Trigun
1:30AM - Cowboy Bebop

UPDATE: Check the latest post (on page 3). Saturdays return to their pure Action-ness again.

UPDATE #2: See page 4.

Last edited by Daikun on Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:27 pm; edited 8 times in total
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 4:05 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
the action programming is the least compelling of the AS lineup. I'm sick of Inu Yasha, I'm sick of Trigun, I'm sick of Bebop. That doesn't leave much now does it?
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 11:58 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Puts on +99 ring of flame protection

It might be time for Bebop to take a small break. Triguns still pretty fresh but even if can only go for so many runs.

Last edited by Fodder on Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
Have they been running CB continuously since they started? I think it's been pretty close, anyway. It's long past time to put it away. If they want to show reruns of a popular show, how about replacing it with 08th MS Team for a run or two?
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 2:06 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
I usually fall asleep around 12:30 on weekends, 11:30 on weeknights, so I'm not tired of CB, still haven't caught certain episodes of Trigun, and damnit Spook Inu Yasha is new episodes!

So I wouldn't complain if CB and Trigun went away, but I would if Inu Yasha did. I've been hooked on it for 2 years now. Some of the fights are so frikken good . . .

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 3:38 pm
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
Inuyasha maybe new to you but its only on what now... episode 60? Thats really old to me since I just finished watching Episode 151 from the fansubbers.
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 4:20 pm
FlashBack

Post subject:
What the hell is wrong with AS....they put old boring Action cartoons on saturday and wonder why no one is watching....why not put new old shows they werent running on the weekdays or every other day before.....FLCL was a big watched show, but the only problem is the show is like 7 episodes so they are fucked that way. CB and Trigun have been played on regular AS on the weekday, so how do they expect people to watch. They were playing rerun InuYasha's for the first couple of weeks....why the hell would you even try that when u are playing new ones an hour before? If they wanted Action Saturday to last, they should have tried some shows that were shelved before and bring them back, like any Outlaw Star (an almost perfect AS show), Yu Yu Hakusho (they have new episodes, why not bring them back for Action Saturday?), any Gundam series, like Wing or 08th MS Team. They could have seriously had an amazing time slot on their hands, but instead they went in half-assed and are angry that no one is watching...it's their own fault, but we have to pay for it. When they announced Action Saturday i was really excited, but it doesnt even seem like they cared and it was destined to fail. It's like putting a bunch of old guys in basketball jerseys, have them play b-ball instead of good players, and when they dont get people buying tickets blaming Basketball as a whole for not being good....this is just seriously pissing me off.
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 5:01 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:

FLCL is 6 episodes long.

Now, what is my point, other than to be a total dick?

Simple. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't rant. Action Saturday IS a prime spot for a great deal of shows. Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star are not those shows. Too little blood, too younger-person oriented. ASA is a prime spot for adult oriented action shows, like Bebop and Wolf's Rain. Inu Yasha is border, and so is Yu Yu Hakusho (it started on ASA, remember.)

But if you want it to thrive you have to show something that you can't get anywhere else. Family Guy and Futurama have thrived because they are on early enough that you can watch them and not screw yourself over at work the next day by being overtired, AND they were something that you could no longer get anywhere else.

If you want ASA to thrive, you don't need old Toonami shows that haven't been on in 2 years, you need new shows.

The problem isn't the wrong old blood, its old blood period. And asking them to put Gundam Wing and Outlaw Star on ASA is, while I LOVE each of these shows, like asking them to put SD Gundam on ASA. If those ever come back, it should be to Toonami. Let's get the more adult stuff on ASA (Helsing, for example, would be dandy, from what I know if it) and leave the younger stuff in the spots that htey already own.

But, what's this? What are the shows that are now going to be on Saturday at 11:00 and 11:30?

Futurama and Sealab. The two shows that are the most popular from the comedy part of AS, which is more popular than ASA.

Hmm, and what comes on right after Sealab?

New Inu Yasha, which has a lot of fans hooked, and then Wolfs Rain, and entirely new show. Which then segues into CB which is form the same creator and style of WR, and then Trigun, which fits perfectly after CB. And these shows are old so if you've seen them you odn't feel bad about falling asleep to them.

Damnit people this is quite possibly the smartest thing they've done in a long time.

Let me restate that. THIS IS THE SMARTEST THING THEY"VE DONE IN A LONG TIME.

Why do I say that?

They're going to try and get people to watch Adult Swim Saturday (ASS (Best acronym EVER.)) through Futurama, top rated show, and Sealab, also a greatly watched show. Then hopefully people sill stick around and be pulled into Inu Yasha by the sheer fact that nothing else is on at that time of night. Then you might as well stick around for WR. And then you're tired enough to watch CB and Trigun after that too.

This will bolster the ratings of ASS any way you slice it. Stop complaining, watch the damn shows, and be merry.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 5:55 pm
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
FlashBack wrote:
If they wanted Action Saturday to last, they should have tried some shows that were shelved before and bring them back, like any Outlaw Star (an almost perfect AS show), Yu Yu Hakusho (they have new episodes, why not bring them back for Action Saturday?), any Gundam series, like Wing or 08th MS Team.

William Street said before that they will not put Gundam on AS again. Plus there are two problems with putting those shows back on the air:
1. Not only are they old but they have been shown to death. If they aired those shows again, they'd have to show the uncut versions to draw anyone back and even if they did, hardly anyone would really care about seeing those shows again.
2. William Street has since lost the rights to air those shows. They could acquire the rights again but there isn't much reason to if they can't milk ratings outta those shows anymore.

Quote:
They could have seriously had an amazing time slot on their hands, but instead they went in half-assed and are angry that no one is watching...it's their own fault, but we have to pay for it. When they announced Action Saturday i was really excited, but it doesnt even seem like they cared and it was destined to fail.

Um no. AS had originally planned a kick ass lineup for the original AS action block but due to advertising complications and what not, It had to be reduced to its current state. I can't remember the details but someone on here probably remembers the cause.

I used to be like yourself. When I was 15 or so, I relied on Toonami for anything related to anime and I got pissed when they gave me shows like Hamtaro. But then I discoverd the joys of a paycheck and realized that "Hey! Why waste time on shows that are censored when I can simply buy the boxsets?" Now I have a rather decent collection:
Martian Successor Nadesico 1-26(DVD Boxset)
Chobits 1-4(DVD)
Ghost in the Shell (DVD)
Devil Hunter Yohko 1-3(DVD)
Neon Genesis Evangelion 11-26 (DVD)
EVA: Death & Rebirth (DVD)
EVA: End of Evangelion (DVD)
EVA Director's cut 21-26 (DVD)
Amazing Nurse Nanako 3-6 (DVD)
Bubblegum Crisis 1-26 (DVD Boxset)
Patlabor OAV 1-7 (DVD Boxset)
Blue Seed 1-26 (DVD Boxset)
Robotech 1-10 (DVD)
Macross: The Movie (VHS)
Macross Plus: The Movie (VHS)
Akira (VHS)
Record Of lodoss war 1-2 (VHS)

Plus If you want more, just download fansubs as they are made. They're just now showing Gundam Seed but I finished watching it about a year ago. So to sum up what I've said I leave you with this:
"If you don't like whats on TV, go buy the damn boxset or download fansubs of new/unlicensed anime"
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 5:56 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
The least AS can do is put less run shows (like Kikaider or Witch Hunter Robin or something) in the 1-2AM time-slots instead of air Cowboy Bebop and Trigun for the 8 billionth time.
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 6:17 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
gfpaperboy22 wrote:

William Street said before that they will not put Gundam on AS again. Plus there are two problems with putting those shows back on the air:
1. Not only are they old but they have been shown to death. If they aired those shows again, they'd have to show the uncut versions to draw anyone back and even if they did, hardly anyone would really care about seeing those shows again.
2. William Street has since lost the rights to air those shows. They could acquire the rights again but there isn't much reason to if they can't milk ratings outta those shows anymore.

Okay, I can see maybe saying that Wing has been shown to much (to my knowledge, it's ran 4 times starting 5 years ago, although it may have aired 1 or 2 times more than that). But every other gundam they've shown has run twice. Twice. 08th MS Team, 0080, 0083, G Gundam. They've run them all exactly twice, and most of thise were quite some time ago. I think 08th MS Team deffinately deserves another airing, and quite possibly 0080 and 0083.
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 6:55 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
New shows are good. But they're also prohibitively expensive. They already have these shorter Gundam series. They haven't worn them out yet. CB has been running almost continuously, and despite how good it is, it's time for a break. I'm not suggesting that there should always be Gundam on ASA. I just think that some old shows should be replayed (briefly) on occasion, while current ones should be given a rest. I no longer rank Cowboy Bebop among my list of best anime. Why? Because it's lost all the effect it once had.
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 7:38 pm
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
gfpaperboy22 wrote:

Okay, I can see maybe saying that Wing has been shown to much (to my knowledge, it's ran 4 times starting 5 years ago, although it may have aired 1 or 2 times more than that). But every other gundam they've shown has run twice. Twice. 08th MS Team, 0080, 0083, G Gundam. They've run them all exactly twice, and most of thise were quite some time ago. I think 08th MS Team deffinately deserves another airing, and quite possibly 0080 and 0083.

By "those shows" I meant Gundam Wing and all the others like outlaw star, tenchi, and anything else he mentioned. I suppose they could do the gundam series again since I never saw them on AS or Toonami but like I said, most of the shows they did were drug through the dirt.
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 7:46 pm
Rycel

Frequenter

Post subject:
I'm all for trying new things, but I'm afraid I have to side with the disappointed on this one. I, for one, tune in on Saturday to watch people kicking the animated crap out of each other and teh pretty lights and flashes of explosions. I tune in on Sunday to laugh my ass off at the nonsensical misadventures of wacky characters. I try not to mix the two because, while it may be funny at times to watch somebody get his face punched in, the feeling just isn't the same. And as far as the whole "been there, done that" argument, if you really enjoy seeing it, then you'll want to see it again. I don't hear people griping about having seen the same episode of Family Guy or Futurama too many times and want to see something different. The Action black has always been Williams Street's redheaded stepchild, and this is just one more episode of AS showing that it favors its comedy more, and is willing to use it to get people to watch other programs.

On a somewhat related noted, I am thuroughly disappointed that Gundam will not be shown on AS (yet another memo I appearantly didn't get). I can agree with G and Wing not being on AS, but gems like 0080 and Z (and to a marginally-lesser extent, SEED) deserve a spot on a more adult-oriented block. They just have the underlying themes and subject matter, as well as the eye-candy, that place them in the appropriate range for AS. But if Williams Street, in its infinite wisdom, thinks that a pint-sized Goku in a slapping match against yet another even-stronger-enemy-than-last-time is a fitting segue to the topics of the horrors of war and genetic cleansing, then so be it.
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 10:30 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Why not have a permanent Gundam slot on ASA? They have enough, I'd think that a rotation through them wouldn't make them particularly stale.
PostTue Jun 15, 2004 12:41 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Adult Swim All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: