нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Sinbad and Friends
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Sinbad and Friends
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject: Sinbad and Friends
I finally saw Sinbad. It was.... different.

Nobuyuki wrote:
Yep. The meshing of CGI and cel in Sinbad is still a little bit jarring, though.
Spookmonkey wrote:
Dreakworks

Heh. Your Freudian slip is showing... Wink

Seeing that made me want to actually discuss it a bit. So, did anyone actually go see it?

The fact that everything was cg except for the characters most of the time was something very different from any other animated feature I've seen before. While I'd say 95% of the time it meshed quite well it never really was "right". It's a shame that it's failing in the theaters because it most definitly is worth watching.

As an action film it delivers fairly solidly. The fight scenes are fairly intricately planned and animated very well. Well, actually the whole movie is really. It's about the animation not so much the story, though the story is there when it needs to be.

The only problem I had with the usage of cg was in the snow bird. It looked so absolutely cg and didn't blend into the styles of either the background or the characters.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 12:04 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yeah, it did HORRIBLY this past weekend. But it was so nice outside in most of hte country, who the hell went to the movies? I know I didn't. And during the brief stint of rain around these parts, I was at a concert.

I SO want to see this though, I really do. Just need to a) make time and b) find someone to go with. The majority of my friends don't have a true appreciation for good animation. Hmm, I'll figure it out eventually.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 10:50 am
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
If I ever get to the movies I'll probably see Sinbad and/or Pirates.

Just from the TV spots Treasure Planet still looks better than Sinbad as far as the animation goes.
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 8:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
I've yet so see Treasure Planet in a quality format (theater or dvd) so I couldnt tell you.

PostWed Jul 09, 2003 11:18 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well, I see Sinbad tomorrow, as my minion's family invitied me along. Expect a decent review from me, as well as one from him, if I can scrounge up the proper magnitude of cookies.
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 11:26 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well, I saw it, and I must say I'm almost completely impressed. The character's weren't that bright, but they didn't have to be. There was a little clash between hand animation and CG, mostly do to lack of detail on the hand drawn part, but otherwise I found the movie to be fantastic.
I haven't actually read up on any of the legends, so I don't know how accurate the movie is, but I certainly liked the story (with the exception of a few details not being explained). Dreamworks really knows how to write a good story, THEN give it broad appeal. During the whole movie, I only noticed a few 'childish' parts (the sidekick dog being the worst), and of course the classic Disney adult jokes were present. I found this to be a well crafted, solid movie--worth the ticket price. Lack of overall plot and character was not a factor in this movie's lack of sales. I would chalk it up to less than normal child appeal and the fact that there haven't been any good movies this summer. Of course, the League will probably change all that today...
PostFri Jul 11, 2003 12:06 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
and of course the classic Disney adult jokes were present.

But Dreamworks has nothing to do with Disney. These were classic Dreamworks animation jokes, such as the famous "You think he's compensating for something? A huh huh huh huh huh!" by Shrek.

I saw the movie yesterday. It was SO great. I absolutely loved it. The animation wow-ed me the whole way through. Finding Nemo was good, but at no point did it 'wow' me. Sinbad wowed the crap out of me. Especially the flowing hair of Eris (By the way, I couldn't tell, was that hand drawn or computer done?)

I thought it was funny, a good plot, fantastic animation, the voice acting was great (and the voices really did fit); I have no qualms with this movie. I didn't even mind Spike. Hell, I enjoyed Spike. And Rat was wicked cool too.

And when I went, the theater was full. And this was a Friday afternoon. I'm really hoping Dreamworks makes money on this movie, I love their animation and I don't want it to die.

PostSat Jul 12, 2003 10:20 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Quote:
And when I went, the theater was full. And this was a Friday afternoon. I'm really hoping Dreamworks makes money on this movie, I love their animation and I don't want it to die.

When I went it was us and some family who walked in at the last minute. Each person could hav had 3 rows to themselves without anyone feeling cramped.

Dreamworks "stole" the Disney formula for their own. Not to say they didn't change it to fit what they wanted, but its origins are pure Disney.

PostSat Jul 12, 2003 12:51 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Meh, either way, typically Disney films have ONE really, really, hidden adult joke. This had 3 not hidden jokes that I can remember. It's a slightly different humor style.

And I still say the movie kicked ass. The people I went with said the same thing.

PostSat Jul 12, 2003 1:25 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Sinbad and Friends
I have to join in heaping praise on this movie. When I expressed a desire to have more storytelling and less toy-selling, THIS is what I had in mind. Great characters (Marina reminds me of Katherine Hepburn in The African Queen), great characterization touches in the background ("Pay up.").
Now if only Brother Bear can pull it off as well.
Best audience reaction I had was before the movie started. A little 4-year-old girl turned around as I was sitting down and said, "I'm here to watch Sinbad."
"So am I."
"Only kids and big kids are supposed to see it."
"I'm a big kid."
"Oh, OK."
Very Happy

Nobuyuki wrote:
Yep. The meshing of CGI and cel in Sinbad is still a little bit jarring, though.

OK, when I said that, I was judging off of the trailer exclusively. 10-15 minutes into the film, I didn't care anymore. The story was too good for me to nit-pick the animation apart.
PostMon Jul 14, 2003 1:13 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Nobuyuki wrote:
Best audience reaction I had was before the movie started. A little 4-year-old girl turned around as I was sitting down and said, "I'm here to watch Sinbad."
"So am I."
"I'm a big kid."
"Oh, OK."
Very Happy

Haha, I think I'll always be a kid at heart myself, too. At least, I hope so. Adults always take things the wrong way.

But it seems as though everyone who has something bad to say about the movie, and then SEES the movie, shuts their piehole and then praises the crap out of it. I've recommended it to everyone I've talked to. I just really hope Dreamworks breaks even on the film and doesn't have to halt their animation department. Because that would suck. I love Dreamworks animation.

PostMon Jul 14, 2003 8:31 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Nobuyuki wrote:

"I'm here to watch Sinbad."
"So am I."
"I'm a big kid."
"Oh, OK."

That is one of the best things I've ever read. If only more "big kids" would admit being one. Smile Then one day we could maybe see the types of animated stories we hope for.

PostTue Jul 15, 2003 2:13 am
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
yeah my parents were ragging on me for watching sinbad. I really liked it though. Yeah the cg bird was horrid but oh well, only from up close, when it was flying around it looked awesome. The bird is what actually caught my eye to the movie in the first place, previews. I saw league yesterday, it was kinda weird, I felt like the story and action avanced way too fast.
Ex.
They all meet.(5 min. later) "let's go save everybody!" (5min,. later) "i'll risk my life for you (friend that I've known for 10 minutes!)"

The only character development was that of the American guy and Sean Connery relationship. But even that wasn't anything very stirring.

all in all the movie was kinda disappointing.
Then I snuck into pirates and it made my day. Pirates was great but what i found kinda dumb is that Disney is coming out with another Ride-inspired film. The Haunted mansion, with Eddie Murphy. I'm kinda 'hmm' about it.
Johnny Depp was bad-ass and a cool guy and kinda nice in ways. awesome movie watch it.

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 1:30 pm
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'd rather see a movie about Disney's Haunted Mansion instead of their third incarnation of Freaky Friday.
PostFri Jul 18, 2003 3:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

counterparadox wrote:
I just really hope Dreamworks breaks even on the film and doesn't have to halt their animation department. Because that would suck. I love Dreamworks animation.

Well, phooey... Sad
Quote:
It's Official: No More 2D for DreamWorks...
Sinbad's failure may exemplify a market that has changed faster than even animation pros like Jeffrey Katzenberg could have anticipated, writes the New York Times. As a traditional-style hand-drawn animated feature, the movie took four years to make--a period in which audiences have come to prefer computer-animated comedies like Shrek to serious animated action adventures. "We are extremely disappointed," said Ann Daly, the head of animation for DreamWorks, noting that Sinbad would be the studio's last traditionally drawn film. From now on, DreamWorks will use computers to animate its movies. Even Jeffrey Katzenberg concedes that the art form on which he made his reputation may be obsolete. "I think the idea of a traditional story being told using traditional animation is likely a thing of the past," he admitted. Among other factors, Katzenberg said, fast-evolving technology is making it easier to create images that a few years ago could only be drawn by hand. DreamWorks executives declined to say how much Sinbad cost. Some industry people have conservatively estimated that DreamWorks spent $70 million (not including marketing expenses), although the comparable Treasure Planet cost Disney about $140 million, according to animation industry executives. Ann Daly said that whatever the losses on "Sinbad," they would not be financially devastating. The problem with Sinbad, like Treasure Planet, may lie more in the evidently flawed strategy that many large studios embarked on several years ago to produce animated action-oriented adventure movies to attract boys, said Jerry Beck, an animation historian. "Almost all these movies have failed." DreamWorks' Ann Daly also pointed out that the only animated movies (whether hand-drawn or computer-generated) that have done well recently are comedies, including Finding Nemo and last summer's hand-drawn Lilo & Stitch from Disney. And so DreamWorks executives are looking forward to next year's jokey Shrek 2 and Sharkslayer. Certainly the marketing onslaught has begun.

Bleh... x_X
PostTue Jul 22, 2003 12:40 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: