нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Bill Cosby rants against radical black communities.
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Bill Cosby rants against radical black communities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Bill Cosby rants against radical black communities.
Quote:
Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

He also had harsh words for struggling black men, telling them: "Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."

Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them. He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------* as they're walking up and down the street," Cosby said during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference.

"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Cosby elaborated Thursday on his previous comments in a talk interrupted several times by applause. He castigated some blacks, saying that they cannot simply blame whites for problems such as teen pregnancy and high school dropout rates.

"For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around," he said. "Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you're sitting in."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.

"When you put on a record and that record is yelling 'n----- this and n----- that' and you've got your little 6-year-old, 7-year-old sitting in the back seat of the car, those children hear that," he said.

He also condemned black men who missed out on opportunities and are now angry about their lives.

"You've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you're (earning) minimum wage," Cosby said. "You should have thought more of yourself when you were in high school, when you had an opportunity."

Cosby appeared Thursday with the Rev. Jesse Jackson, founder and president of the education fund, who defended the entertainer's statements.

"Bill is saying let's fight the right fight, let's level the playing field," Jackson said. "Drunk people can't do that. Illiterate people can't do that."

Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.

"Dogs, water hoses that tear the bark off trees, Emmett Till," he said, naming the black youth who was tortured and murdered in Mississippi in 1955, allegedly for whistling at a white woman. "And you're going to tell me you're going to drop out of school? You're going to tell me you're going to steal from a store?"

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

"Let them talk," he said.

*=I didn't censor it. Blame Yahoo! News.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=494&u=/ap/20040701/ap_en_tv/cosby_comments_4&printer=1

Watchu think?

Last edited by Daikun on Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 6:02 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
I say goof for him. I just hope someone he was talking to actually listened to him
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 6:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
"goof for him?"

Was that a typo or a compliment? Confused
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 7:09 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
thats up to bill to decide
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 7:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
I think he's absolutely right. In the 50's and 60's and 70's, blacks tried to improve themselves and EARN the respect that they naturally deserved. Now, people just expect it. No one can EXPECT respect. Respect must always be earned.

Really, if things are going to change, the whole 'thug' image has to die. Really, I hate it. I hate it with a passion for multiple reasons.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 8:24 pm
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
Cosby is totally right.
This thug phenomenon has been happening way too long,and you even see it satirized on black comedy shows such as Chappelle's Show.
With segments such as, Fisticuffs, G G G G G-Unit, Tyrone the crack-head, etc.

I agree with CP about the earning respect thing, if you don't give repect to a black person, it's automatically assumed that it's becuase of their race, and the question to whethr the respect was earned never even arises.

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 9:01 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
I only respect one of my supervisors at work... he happens to be white.

he is also the only one who, maybe, knows more about the product we're supposed to be selling.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 10:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Okay to start this off let me tell you that since as young as I can remember I've had black friends, including one of the best friends I've ever had. Now Florida, being a southern state, still flirts with alot of racism. Where as in the north you'll see alot of black profesionals, in the south you'll find most of them still struggling in poverty. Now when I was growing both in the north and the south the black families I was close with were responsible, kind, hard working, supported education, and had positive influences. I didn't see them as "good blacks" I saw them as just decent people. For instance, when I had just moved back from up north to florida and was yet again placed in a new school. The very first day when I had no where at lunch to sit, a girl named Paige offered to let me sit at her table. She was black and so was everyone at the table except for maybe two spanish kids. None of them said anything or made a deal out of it and over the next year I became good friends with alot of them. All of them sitting together was something common in the south, mostly known as vollentary segregation. Same as you would see with any ethnic group wanting to be with their own kind. But as soon as that starts kids start noticing race where they didn't before. Starting in high school things only worsened. Most black kids only hung out with other black kids, they're attitudes and manners changed and they began to feed into the negative more negative culture. Inside they were the same people I knew, but on the outside they presented themselves as ignorant, phony, or stuck up for reasons I couldn't comprehend. This new mentality shuned anything associated with being white. To the point where what white people believe is just being a decent citizen, is turned into a negative.

They didn't dream of being laywers or writers or intelligent professions because the new black culture seems to say that all you have to do is be black and either rap or play basketball and you'll be rich. Look at the show Meathod and Red for example. These are two rappers who move into "pristine white society" and shake it up by bringing hookers and weed. They're played as positive characters while most of the whites are presented as people who "need to be changed". I cant stand this. All they're doing is promoting more racism and a negative lifestyle. There is no white society and black society, there is only a postivie way to live and a negative way. You look back ten years ago at something like the Cosby Show which posed a positive influence on both white and black society, would now be considered race pandering. Current shows like Bernie Mac or My Wife And Kids also promote more positive images on black society the falicy of these shows is that they all focused only on the small percentage of upper middle-class families. But in these shows it can come off as fake. Or as if they're blacks trying to please whites by acting white. Why does it seem this way? Because you hardly ever see real black families acting like this due to the common problems of poverty and domestic abuse. Chappelles' show is a perfect satire on this. This whole thing is become like a total reverse on racism. Whites acting black, blacks acting white. They're both pandering to eachothers media hype and ignoring their own values and nature.

Anyway I'm probably wrong or ignorant on alot of points, but based on my experiances that's how I feel. I also feel there's just as much if not a whole lot more white trash than there is black. I still have a couple black friends and I've tried to discuss subjects like this. But for them it's a lot more sensitive since they live with it daily. Luckily, the negative trend is slowly fading and people in general are wising up to it. Most of my black friends are pursuing bright futures themselves, they still listen to whatever they want, they dress how they want, they still are true to their ethnicity and culture, but their attitudes and values havn't changed and that is all that's important.
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 2:19 am
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
It's worse than the people just accepting the other side's argument. Most of these people (black and white) BECOME the argument, and they never realize it. I say, let's skin all the babies when they're born. Everyone will be red (except for the very obese, who will be a mottled sort of yellow), and there will be no exterior differences.

blah, people are stupid, but I still regard Bill Cosby as the best performer ever.
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 2:25 pm
dbzgundam

Post subject:
Force-Attuned_Krogoth wrote:
It's worse than the people just accepting the other side's argument. Most of these people (black and white) BECOME the argument, and they never realize it. I say, let's skin all the babies when they're born. Everyone will be red (except for the very obese, who will be a mottled sort of yellow), and there will be no exterior differences.

blah, people are stupid, but I still regard Bill Cosby as the best performer ever.

No offense but I'm just curious as who's side you're on here. Your response puts it quite vaguely. Laughing

As for me, I'm 100% with Cosby, and he's making a point that no one else has been willing to really show.
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 3:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
I have never watched the Cosby show and thought "black family." Every time I watch it the thought is "Family. Just family. Every family." Cosy show has to be one of the best shows ever made.

I disagree with you on only one thing Zechs. These people, the ones that dress like thugs and act, for lack of better terms, 'ghetto' or as some refer to it, 'black', they may still have the same values, but by not acting it on the outside . . .

I'm a pasty-white boy. I listen to emo and Ben Folds. I went to private school. I live in a nice neighborhood.

My best friend in 5th and 6th grade was black.

All my friends now are white, with the exception of one (and that one is the coolest mofo I've ever met in my life. Like, deffinition of the colloquial word 'cool'.)

Why is this?

The thug image scares me shitless. Again, pasty-white boy. They may not want to kick my ass, but the majority of black people I see my age look like thay'd WANT to kick my ass or shank me. I'm not lookin for a stabbin unless I'm on the giving end here . . .

Point is, the image of 'cool' degrades them. It degrades them in the eyes of everyone except themselves. The image, the whole image of being a thug, being a 'playa', whatever. The whole image, while it may not be them, it might as well be.

This is why Cosby is right. I'm not racist. My parents have never said racist things. It's not a matter of them being different colored skin. It's a matter of a group of people, white, black, mexican, asian, Martian, I don't care, it's about a group of people thinking that that fucking Thug image is cool. It scares people like me, and perpetuates the problem.

A verse from Rockin the Suburbs, by Ben Folds (his second-most well known song, and also the one that sounds LEAST like everything else he's done. But it's a BRILLIANT satire on pop culture and hte music industry):

I pull up to the stoplight
I can feel something's not right
I can feel something blasting me with pain and bass
Sending dirty vibes my way
Becuase my great great great great grandad
Made someone's great great great great granddaddys slaves . . .
It wasn't my idea
It wasn't my idea
Never was my idea

I just drove to the store
For some prepearation H

His point? All those rap songs that are all 'Kill whitey!" (See the movie Fear of a Black Hat. GREAT mockumentary) are misplaced. We didn't do anything. It was not our idea damnit!

All of you, if you haven't, see hte movie Bamboozeld, directed by Spike Lee. You'll see why any type of dividing image is bad. It doesn't focus on the thug image, but it goes farther than the thug image ever could. GREAT GREAT GREAT movie. SEE IT TONIGHT, DAMNIT.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Jul 07, 2004 5:31 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
...I say, let's skin all the babies when they're born...

Yes! All hail Pepito, and his brilliance in already having come up with this solution in our future communist paradise!
PostThu Jul 08, 2004 12:11 am
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
dbzgundam wrote:

No offense but I'm just curious as who's side you're on here. Your response puts it quite vaguely. Laughing

As for me, I'm 100% with Cosby, and he's making a point that no one else has been willing to really show.

I agree with Mr. Cosby. My whole point was that race matters exactly 0%. Get over who your grandparents were, and deal with who YOU are, and where your children will be.
PostThu Jul 08, 2004 2:11 pm
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
It's true about the children things, cause it's not just teenagers anymore.
Little kids at my brother's middle school and stuff, I get stories from my brother all the time about some black kids getting into fights and stuff because of the whole thug thing.
Cosby is awesome btw!

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostThu Jul 08, 2004 3:02 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
...I say, let's skin all the babies when they're born...

Yes! All hail Pepito, and his brilliance in already having come up with this solution in our future communist paradise!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostThu Jul 08, 2004 10:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: