нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Yet another philosophical/religious discussion/rant
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Yet another philosophical/religious discussion/rant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
umm.... is it really a theoretical why? people ask it all the time.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostFri Aug 29, 2003 8:18 am
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
I go to a Catholic high school. Meaning I take courses on religion. This year I'm about to take a course on all the different religions of the world, with my FAVORITE religion teacher. I've had him for 2 other semesters and he's SUPER cool. I've taken a course on the gerenarl stuff about Christianity, one on the New Testament, one on the Old Testament, one on Morality (which looked at psychology (which was SUPER fun for me, I'll get to that in a moment) and one on Social Justice.

In addition to these religion courses (and me going to church 99% of hte weekends of my life (not really by choice, my parents make me. I'm not a fan of organized religion. I prefer the school of thought that says Religion is a personal thing . . . that's just my own belief however, and it would contradict that belief to force it upon others)) I love psychology. Granted I've never taken a course on it (The teacher that I thought taught it (and isn't this year but I didn't take it anyway (GRR!)) is absolutely horrible at teaching) but I LOVE watching people. I'm a people watcher. It's what I do.

I can read all of my friends. I know what they're thinking all the time. I can tell whenever any of them lie, and I can tell WHY they lie. I can tell who they like and who they can't stand. I can tell them more about their current relationships than they themselves know. And I can settle disputes with this ability of mine. I love psychology. People piss me off, but they also fascinate me.

So yes, JP, I do have experience in both Religion and Psychology. Bring it. ^_^

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostFri Aug 29, 2003 11:12 am
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
cool... I just like knowing that I'm not talking to a bunch of guys who get their entire "Religious Debate Weaponry" from the movie DOGMA (not that there's anything wrong with that movie, I'm just looking for something a little deeper than a Hollywood catchphrase for once)...

"I plan to live forever. So far so good." -Steven Wright
PostSun Aug 31, 2003 3:02 am
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
JohnnyPsycho wrote:
cool... I just like knowing that I'm not talking to a bunch of guys who get their entire "Religious Debate Weaponry" from the movie DOGMA (not that there's anything wrong with that movie, I'm just looking for something a little deeper than a Hollywood catchphrase for once)...

That was one line, and it was appropriate to the conversation.
Let it die!
PostSun Aug 31, 2003 10:56 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Actually, I found Dogma to be rather thought provoking. Do I base a lot of what I think and say off of it? No. But it had some VERY valid points. And was a damn funny movie to boot . . .

One of the best things about Dogma is that the last zion is a WOMAN (not a man, that's the first thing) who works in an ABORTION clinic (that's the second thing). Also, in the board room scene (Quite possibly my favorite scene from any movie of all time) the man who only disowned his gay son is JUST as sinful as the man who committed adultery on his wife 17 times in one year and the man that had sex with an 11 year old boy in Thailand. Obviously it's not the bible giving out these messages, but Kevin Smith does deal out some good logic when he's in the mood. At least I think so. I think Dogma is his best movie, by far, just becase it has some thought provoking moments and a few messages from the creator, even if you don't buy into hte same school of thought.

And that's my 2 cents on Dogma.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun Aug 31, 2003 1:58 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
JohnnyPsycho wrote:
How about this...

Science doesn't tell us "why" something is, it just tells us "how". It is religion's job to help us figure out the "why"...

Why does life exist? Evolution theory can't tell us that, it can only theorize as to how life changes and how current life came to be. It can't tell us why we're here. So what if we came from the same common ancestors as apes, it's not like Darwin erased all the meaning to our own existance. Evolution theory just adds another layer of understanding the mechanics of life, it doesn't have to tell us how to live or why it was so important for apes to evolve into humans. If anything, the closest answer anyone could probably come up with as to why apes evolved into humans is probably "because it must".

Religion gives us the theoretical "why".

That's one of the better explanaitions in differences between science and religion. I had to have heard that as a canned speach at least 3 times in middle school, but that doesn't make it untrue.
PostSun Aug 31, 2003 2:38 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
Heh, I've never seen Dogma. What's it about? Wink
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostSun Aug 31, 2003 5:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
...God, I hate you, doug... Wink

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostMon Sep 01, 2003 1:43 am
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
Hugs and Kisses JP
PostWed Sep 03, 2003 9:02 am
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
Here are some random quotes that I thought belonged in here...

"Absence of proof is not proof of absence."
-Michael Crichton

"If 'religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains improvable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one."
-John Barrow

"Geometry is a reflection out of the mind of God."
-Johannes Kepler

"God is an infinite sphere, who's circumference is everywhere and center nowhere."
-Book of 24 Philosophers

"Did you ever notice the people who are so adamantly against abortions are people so ugly you wouldn't want to touch them in the first place?"
-George Carlin

"You ever notice how people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved? You ever noticed that? Eyes really close together, eyebrow ridges, big furry hands and feet. 'I believe God created me in one day.' Yeah, looks like He rushed it."
-Bill Hicks

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
-Douglas Adams

"What interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world."
-Albert Einstein

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see or take into my body as long as I don’t harm another human being whilst on this planet? And for those of you having a little moral dilemma about how to answer this, I'll answer for you. NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS! Take that to the bank, cash it and take it on a vacation outta my fucking life. And stop bringing shotguns to UFO sightings, they might be here to pick me up and take me with 'em."
-Bill Hicks

"We are content to call him good who is a man bad in a way common to all."
-Immanuel Kant

"We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men."
-Monsignor, The Boondock Saints

"Life of human kind is indeed very short and trifling. You ought to spend your time doing whatever you like to do...If this is misinterpreted, it will harm youth. So I have not spoken of this to the young samurais."
-Hagakure (The Book of the Samurai)

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I’ve never tried before."
-Mae West

"It is not enough for a handful of experts to attempt the solution of a problem, to solve it, and then to apply it. The restriction of knowledge to an elite group destroys the spirit of society and leads to its intellectual impoverishment."
-Albert Einstein

"What do athiests scream when they come?"
-Bill Hicks

"Here lies an athiest, all dressed up and nowhere to go."
-Anonymous tombstone epitaph

"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it."
-Andre Gide

"Anyone who claims that God is on their side is dangerous as Hell."
-Anonymous

"God, save me from your followers."
-Anonymous

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Ghandi

"Almost at the moment he died, he said, 'Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do'... Even then, and I felt his words take the sword from my hand."
-Judah Ben-Hur (Charleton Heston), Ben-Hur

"Tell a person that you’re the Metatron and they stare at you blankly; mention something out of a Charleton Heston movie and suddenly they’re a theology scholar."
-The Metatron (Alan Rickman), DOGMA

"Since Jesus was born in a barn, does that mean he's excused from closing doors?"
-editorial, Precious the Cow Magazine

"You have to take a lighter approach nowadays. Jumping on a table in a busy restaurant, swinging from the ceiling fans, and screaming, 'YOU'RE ALL GOING TO BURN IN HELL,' just scares people away."
-Steven Forker

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fucking cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant."
-Bill Hicks

"God bless those pagans."
-Homer Simpson

"Another name for God is surprise."
-Brother David Steindl-Rast

"Parallel lines converge in an infinity I refuse to accept."
-my friend Akash Kumar

"We live in a disturbing time, where technology has surpassed religion. We have guided missiles and misguided people."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The only unchangeable certainty in life is that nothing is unchangeable or certain."
-John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"Two fellows are talking religion. One says to the other, 'Sometimes I'd like to ask God why he allows poverty, famine, and injustice when he could do something about it.'

'What’s stopping you?' asks the second.

The first replies, 'I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.'"
-from Rev. Lowell's Treasury of Humor: He Who Laughs, Lasts

"Without struggle, there can be no growth."
-Chinese Proverb

"Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthullu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich."
-Unknown

"Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought."
-a fortune cookie I read once

"Life is a comedy to those who think, and a tragedy to those who feel."
-Voltaire

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is necessary?"
-Il Duce, The Boondock Saints

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you."
-Nietzche

"The wise man makes justice his god and learns from all."
-King Asoka

"We ask for strength and you give us difficulties which make us strong; we ask for wisdom and you send us problems, the solutions of which develop wisdom. We plead for prosperity and you give us brain and brawn to work; we plead for courage and you give us dangers to overcome. We ask for favors and you give us opportunities, therefore, Great Spirit, we ask you to bless us and assist us according to thy will."
-Indian prayer, author unknown

"Every morning one should first do reverence to his master and parents and then to his patron deities."
-Hagakure (The Book of the Samurai)

"Be submissive to everything, open, listening."
-Jack Kerouac

"The principles you live by create the world you live in; if you change the principles you live by, you will change your world."
-Blaine Lee

"Understand that the Chinese characters for Buddhism and Bushido are basically similar in that do means 'the way.' The same character is the sole way...if you first learn the Bushido way and keep the Bushido perspective in mind, then you can fulfill the mastery of the other ways more effectively."
-Hagakure

"It is bad when one thing becomes two. One should not look for anything else in the way of the Samurai. It is the same for anything else that is called a Way. If one understands things in this manner, he should be able to hear about all Ways and be more and more in accord with his own."
-Hagakure

"Always listen to yourself. It is better to be wrong than simply to follow convention. If you are wrong, no matter, you have learned something and you will grow stronger. If you are right, you have taken another step towards a fulfilling life."
-Anonymous

"There is in all visible things...a hidden wholeness."
-Thomas Merton

"Yesterday is but a dream, tomorrow is but a vision. But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vison of hope. Look well, therefore, to this day."
-Sanskrit Proverb

"There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. By doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses one still gets wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you will get the same soaking. This understanding extends to all things."
-Hagakure

"Data is not information, and information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not understanding, and understanding is not wisdom."
-Philip Adams

"Ever try to contemplate nonexistance? Well you're stupid to try, as contemplation has no place in nonexistance."
-Jhonen Vasquez

"I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it."
-Steven Wright

"Metaphysics means only an unusually obstinate attempt to think clearly and consistently."
-William James

"In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him."
-Dereke Bruce

"The end is important in all things."
-Hagakure

PostSat Sep 06, 2003 4:21 pm
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
I thought I'd add a couple more...

"Replacing Hebrew words with random female body parts is a must."
-stFalcon5

"Frisbeetarianism is the philosophy that when you die, your soul goes up on a roof and gets stuck."
-George Carlin

PostSat Sep 06, 2003 4:24 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'm printing these and pasting them individually on my wall.

Oh btw the reason I don't really post in here is not due in any way to a lack of feelings on these issues, because in all certainty I am concered.

In truth it is due to my lazyness and feeling that talking does shit in my opinion, just shut up and live or die under whatever religion you choose.
PostSat Sep 06, 2003 7:07 pm
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
that's cool... that is also a very valid (if somewhat isolationist) point of view...

I'm sorry the post of all those quotes is so long, because I didn't realize how many i had...

...not words you necessarily have to live by... just words...

PostSun Sep 07, 2003 1:59 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Zechs wrote:
I'm printing these and pasting them individually on my wall.

Oh btw the reason I don't really post in here is not due in any way to a lack of feelings on these issues, because in all certainty I am concered.

In truth it is due to my lazyness and feeling that talking does shit in my opinion, just shut up and live or die under whatever religion you choose.

How can you know you have faith if you never test that faith? For that matter, how can you believe anything, and know it to at least possibly be true without questioning your beliefs.
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:47 am
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
How can you know you have faith if you never test that faith? For that matter, how can you believe anything, and know it to at least possibly be true without questioning your beliefs.

Don't ever ask that question. You won't like the answers some people have.
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 1:35 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: