нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Have you seen...?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Have you seen...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of the following proposal?
Meh.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Good, but unecessary.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
STFU n00b.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sounds like a plan
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
Is Haruhi really anything special? I watched it this past week to confirm my suspicions that it sucked (was pleasantly surprised to find a watchable show), but didn't find anything new or different in comparison to most of the current shows on the air. Airing the episodes out of order was a nice gimmick, but that could be a downer for non-anime fans or non-otaku. And it's a very otaku-oriented show. The character designs, the atmosphere... This show is for the happy/lonely otaku type. If someone could explain in detail why people are seeing it as some kind of divine intervention, it would be appreciated.
PostSun Jul 16, 2006 3:39 pm
LLG

Post subject:
What are some of the Manga/comic books people have read lately? I'm stgarting in on R.O.D. and it's pretty interesting so far. There's a lot that wasn't in the movie/series. And that's only after three volumes. I'm also waiting for the next volume of Dragon Knights to come out.
PostSun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Ugh, Manga is an expensive habit and one that I've put on the backburner.

I got the entire Excel Saga collection for like 24$ at a con and I've been trying to ween myself into reading it through. But dear god, EVERY OTHER LINE IS SOME ULTRA OBSCURE JAPANESE REFERENCE. The translaters were kind enought to add a mini-encyclopedia at the back of each volume giving you the backstory behind each of these, but it killed the fluidness of reading when you have to learn why something is supposed to be funny. The anime works because violence is univerally funny, but the manga falls short because it's inlcudes the hundreds of deadpan jokes that luckily, never made it into the anime.

Only an ultra hard-core japanofile could be able to read this through without feeling totally alienated.

----
Then my other current obsession is Samurai Deeper Kyo. It's your standard Unrealistic Samurai fair, but there are some nice thouches that make this series worth paying attention to.
----
Last two I'm just starting are Genshiken and YOTSUBA! which are both extremely high quality. If you're feeling drained from reading crappy, predictable manga, read either of these two to re-afirm your faith in the medium.
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 5:10 am
Gundam0084

Veteran

Post subject:
For comics, I've been reading New Avengers, Birds of Prey, and Teen Titans (with a subscription to Squadron Supreme starting soon). Birds of Prey is pretty high quality in terms of writing, which was a pleasant surprise for me. I thought it would be some crappy Batgirl ripoff (with about 5 Batgirl like characters), but I was wrong. It doesn't hurt that Gail Simone, writer for the smash hit Villains United mini series, also writes for Birds of Prey.

New Avengers is one of the best superhero team comic books I've ever read. You just can't lose when you've got Captain America, Iron Man, Luke Cage (Power Man), Sentry, Spider Woman, Wolverine and Spider Man all in the same comic book. Unfortunately, thanks to the events of Civil War (a 7 issue mini series that splits the Marvel superhero world in 2, thanks to the Superhuman Registration Act), The New Avengers: Disassembled is the new (and last) story arc for this team.

As for Teen Titans, it's much more mature than the cartoon series. The team's quite different, as well. It's made up of (right now, at least) Robin, Cyborg, Wonder Girl, Ravager, and Kid Devil(yeah, I never heard of him either). After the events of Infinite Crisis, Robin was tasked with putting the team together again (since Cyborg was in suspended animation, Superboy was killed, Beastboy quit the team to join the New Doom Patrol, Starfire was no longer a Titan, Raven also quit the team, and Kid Flash had become the new Flash). Robin took Superboy's death pretty hard, so he's been working night and day on finding a way to clone him (since he was originally a clone of Superman and Luthor's DNA). The current arc finds the Titans going up against the Brotherhood of Evil. The Doom Patrol shows up to help, but something sinister seems to be going on with their leader (The Chief).

In terms of manga, I've been reading Genshiken (can't get enough), Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel, Death Note, and Mobile Suit Gundam: Lost War Chronicles. Genshiken speaks for itself. Ecole du Ciel is interesting since it's set right before the start (a couple of years, or just a year beforehand) of Zeta Gundam, but the girly atmosphere (naturally, since it's about a female Federation cadet named Asuna Elmarit) is kind of annoying. Death Note is about a Japanese high school student named Light Yagami who finds the titular notebook (as left behind by Ryuk, a death god, or Shinigami), and uses it to systematically wipe out all evil in the world (by killing the criminals, no less). It gets hairy when the CIA, FBI, and L(a master detective who prides himself on solving unsolvable cases) start getting on his trail, and he has to start killing agents to protect his identity. Lastly, Gundam: Lost War Chronicles is best compared to 08th MS Team. It shows the war from the two sides, and focuses on soldiers that would rather not kill others to accomplish their objectives.
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 6:41 am
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
They brought back Squadron Supreme? I'll have to go check that out. I'm thinking you didn't know they had a first run.
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 10:52 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gundam0084

Veteran

Post subject:
Oh yeah, I heard about that. From what I've read, they've had a number of different iterations. I believe one of the writers for the original Squadron Supreme (itself just a copy of Justice League) actually got hired by DC Comics for writing the JLA counterparts so well. For the past 2 years or so, the characters that make up Squadron Supreme were redone for the Supreme Power series. They just recently relaunched the Squadron Supreme comic again. Speaking of which, Squadron Supreme is supposed to have a major crossover with Ultimate Fantastic Four in the Fall of this year. That should be quite interesting. There are already a few Supreme Power graphic novels availible (at least 3 volumes that I know of), and at least 3 different graphic novels focusing on individual members (Hyperion, Nighthawk, and Dr. Spectrum).
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 12:04 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: